Eden Falling welcomes you, Survivor.
Eden Falling is a sci-fi, turn-based, strategic survival RPG. That’s a mouthful, but it highlights developer Razor Edge Games’ ambition.
Set in a world devastated by an asteroid strike, players will explore an unforgiving wasteland. As a survivor chosen by a mysterious benefactor, you’ll have free rein over your entire experience. The world around you will change depending on the quests you take, the answers you give, the lands you travel, and more.
As with other entries in the genre, Eden Falling features in-depth customization mechanics. Your character is fully customizable, from their appearance down to their background and political leanings. Moreover, weapons, equipment, gear, and vehicles are also customizable. As Razor Edge Games says, “no two gamers are the same and their gear shouldn’t be either.”
However, Eden Falling throws something in the ring that, if implemented correctly, could set it apart. Player characters will age and, eventually, die from old age. As your character ages, you’ll notice their skills deteriorating. Luckily, there is always a chance that a companion or your offspring will carry on your legacy.
Adding to the game’s challenge, permadeath is a key feature. If you want to live to a ripe old age and slip away peacefully, you’ll need to craft the best possible weapons and equipment for survival.
Finally, Eden Falling will boast a massive world. The developer claims that there will be over 30,000 locations to find and explore.
Granted, these are all very impressive features, but we’ll need to wait a little longer to see how they are implemented. The game is currently still in its pre-alpha phase, so pretty much everything can change as Razor Edge Games moves forward with development.
Nonetheless, Razor Edge Games made a demo available during the Steam NEXT Fest. It garnered close to 4,000 downloads and the studio says it is hard at work incorporating the feedback players gave. You can visit the Eden Falling Steam page for more information.
You can check out an in-engine cinematic here:
- Ever changing World – The world of Eden Falling is always changing and evolving. No two games will ever be the same.
- Destiny Points – Earn the chance to change your fate and have your legacy carried on.
- Perma-Death – When you die, it’s game over forever for that character, but if you play your points right, perhaps a companion or an offspring can carry on your legacy
- Companion System – Followers will learn, develop skills, and may be playable upon character’s death, that is, if they stick around…
- Character Aging – Abilities and skills deteriorate as the character visibly ages. Just like life, everything fades with time.
- Customize – Characters, clothing, equipment, weapons, and vehicles are all highly customizable, because no two gamers are the same and their gear shouldn’t be either.
- Usage-Based Skill System – Skills remain sharp with frequent use, degradation occurs from neglect. So keep up, and keep sharp.
- Single Player, Local Multiplayer, and Online Multiplayer. Play how you desire in Eden Falling.
- Reputation – Obtain companions, influence Factions, commerce, and players can even build a unique faction of their own design. Reputation is everything.
- Turn-Based Combat – With cinematic camera and companion control.
- PvE and PvP Combat.
- Massive world – With over 30,000 locations to explore and a day-night cycle. Play how you want, where you want, when you want.