Fans of 4X strategy games will be happy to know that Old World, Mohawk Games’ addition to the genre, launches on July 1.
Old World has an impressive pedigree that fans of the Civilization series might recognize. Soren Johnson, previously the Lead Designer for Civilization III and Civilization IV, created the game. Meanwhile, Mohawk Games also announced that the game will be scored by Grammy Award-winning composer Christopher Tin. Tin previously composed the music for Civilization IV.
As with other strategy games, players will select their leader and compete against other nations for dominance and wealth. However, leaders are not immortal and “once they meet their demise, the future of the nation depends on their heirs.” Indeed, because every turn counts as one in-game year, leaders will eventually pass away from old age. If they aren’t assassinated first.
Old World has a number of key features, including:
- An innovative new Orders system: Orders are a resource players use to command their units as they see fit, unlike traditional 4X games which limit every unit to one move each turn. Giving players control of who can take an action and how many times adds a new layer of strategy to the genre.
- Narrative-driven events: With a focus on rich narrative and a dynamic story generation engine, Old World features events inspired by real history where the decisions you make have a meaningful impact on the game.
- Real leaders: A selection of seven real-life leaders including Cyrus of Persia, Ashurbanipal of Assyria, and Dido of Carthage. Every year is a turn, so these leaders will give way to their descendants as the game progresses.
- Engaging scenarios: Beyond the standard game on random maps, players can also play in the ancient Mediterranean or in scenarios with special conditions based on historical accounts.
- Flexible multiplayer: Old World supports a wide variety of multiplayer modes, including asynchronous, play-by-cloud, hotseat, team games, scenarios, and a variety of turn speeds and styles.
Old World is currently available in Early Access on the Epic Games Store. You can watch the release date trailer here: